Hi all, sorry we haven't really managed to update our blog at all while we've been here! There was no internet access where we were in Zambia so we couldn't write, plus our programme there was non-stop so we probably wouldn't have had much time to write anyway!! But I have some time now, so here are some of my thoughts from our time there.
I loved Zambia! It was great to be back in Africa! The hospitality we were shown, the people we met and all we saw God doing there was mind-blowing!
We spent 11 days at the OM Base in Kabwe (about 2 hours from the Captial, Lusaka). While we were there we visited and saw a lot of the ministries that OM runs or partners with. These included hospital ministry, disabled ministry, deaf cell group, Makwati church (a church in a nearby village that OM planted during the 2010 soccer world cup), sports ministry and more!
Everyone had different highlights, but some of mine were these....
Firstly, working in partnership with OM. Seeing how the organisation works and what they do! I was really impressed with how well organised they were. How they saw needs in the community and then responded to those. Their heart was to see people saved and they were doing everything they could to see that happen!
I also really enjoyed getting to know the OM staff and hearing their stories and what they do. I was encouraged by how faithful to God's calling they each were, and how they continued to live by faith as missionaries at OM.
While I was with OM I was really challenged about my life and ministry back home in NZ. About how much more we could be doing, and how so much of what OM is doing here needs to be done at home! Of course it might look different in the NZ context, but I do think the whole church of NZ should be reaching out a whole lot more than they currently are!
My heart broke the most for NZ while I was in the hospital in Kabwe. There we went bed to bed talking to patients about the gospel, and praying with them. They were all so excited to have us visit and so open to talk about God. We even got to see someone come to know Jesus while we were there too! Which was amazing! But afterwards as I was reflecting on the people back in NZ and how closed off to the gospel in comparison...my heart just yearned to see the people of NZ have the same hunger and openess to the gospel as we saw there.
Music was a huge part of our ministry in Kabwe too! Each morning we joined with the OM staff in devotions. We lead the worship as well as different team members taking the bible study each day. I think we all enjoyed joining in lively worship with the Zambians! We taught them some of our songs, and we've learnt quite a few Bemba songs we will share with you once we are back!
We also experienced real Africa for a few days! We had no power or water for a couple of nights. Which was trying, but it was a blessing because it meant that we got to experience what life was really like for the people in Zambia. My favourite moment was one night...we were all in the common room at OM with rain, thunder and lightning outside. Then the power suddenly went out...but everyone was just singing and worshipping God! Amazing vibes. I love Zambia!
Another time we were in the supermarket when the power went out! Crazy experience, but God was good to us and allowed us to get everything we needed despite the power outtage!
There is so much more to say, but maybe some of the others can share from their side.
Biggest thanks to all those who have been praying for us. God truly worked in and through us while we were there and I don't think we'll be coming home the same!