Thursday, January 26, 2012

Anoosh's Reflections

Anoosh says...

1. What were your highlights from the trip?
One of my highlights from the trip would definitely be the people that we met. It was amazing to see how they continually praised God despite the hardships that they faced. It was really encouraging. I couldn’t help but think that my problems are so minute compared to theirs and yet their faith in God was so much greater than mine. They really showed me what it was to lean on God as opposed to my own understanding. I also really enjoyed the freedom we had to share our faith and pray for people. On a smaller note, I thoroughly enjoyed the music; both jamming with the Zambians as well as singing in the van on our way to places.

2. What did you find hardest about the trip?
Surprisingly I didn’t struggle with the power or electricity going off. In fact it made the whole experience feel so much more like an adventure! I did struggle a bit with the food in Zambia but it wasn’t too bad.
The hospital visits in Zambia was one thing that I struggled with. The first time we went I was really out of my comfort zone. I just didn’t know how to share the gospel in 2 minutes! The sight of an old man with swollen legs, a bloated stomach and flies sitting on him was enough to set the tap off! The next time we went I mentally prepared myself. When we got to the hospital I was in the woman’s ward. I saw a lady who had just lost her baby lying next to a lady who had just given birth. The first lady was weeping. It really broke my heart. I didn’t know what to say, but all we could do was pray for her. The fact that she even asked us to pray for her when she was going through so much was inspiring.

3. What did you learn about God on this trip?
I learnt that God is so much bigger than the little things. I learnt from the people in Zambia, the importance of praying and staying faithful to God even when you are suffering and nothing seems to be going right. For some reason God led me to the book of Job during our time in Zambia. God really helped me understand what was going on around me. People were suffering but still had faith and praised God. It was uplifting.
I learnt how important it is to start your day putting God first, praying and reading the bible. This is something I have continued to do since returning to New Zealand. I really believe that when you start your day with the Lord, even when things go wrong, you’ll always be able to rise above it.

4. What did you learn about yourself on this trip?
I learnt to really let go and be free when I worship God through my music. That is the African way! God doesn’t want half-hearted worship. He wants our best. I learnt that worship has the power to move people. People would say that they felt blessed by the music we played, and that was such a huge blessing to me.
I think the trip made me more confident in leading worship. Before I would let little things concerning the music get to me. Focussing God just helped a lot with my confidence, as well as having a very supportive team!

5. What did you learn from being part of the team?
I think God really showed me through our amazing team that He has made each and every one of us special and unique and that He loves us just the way we are. It was amazing how when one of us found something hard there was always someone who was good at it and stepped up. I don’t think I have ever been in a more incredible team! I have nothing but love and respect for all of you!!! <3

6. What did you like the most about Zambian/South African Culture?
I really liked how collectivist they were. They did everything together and shared everything. It took a bit of getting used to, but it grew on me.
African people live in the moment. We in New Zealand are so futuristic in our thinking which is a good and a bad thing. I think you need to plan for the future but I think I really learnt how to celebrate being in the present from them.
I also loved how they just burst in to song and dance…. So AWESOME!

7. What thoughts about NZ Culture & Society have you had since returning?
I couldn’t help but thinking we need those guys to come to New Zealand! Their faith is so amazing, and everyone is so open to God. I definitely felt that I received way more than I could give.
I think we have so much over here and the materialistic things often distract us from what really matters… JESUS!
I think we worry too much about how God will provide. We need to just have a little faith!

8. How is or will life be different for you now that you are back?
I think God has given me so much more perspective now. I definitely felt a calling to give back in some way and I definitely feel more open to God using my musical talent. I really hope that someday I can go back to Africa. I also think that there is so much that needs to be done right here in New Zealand, in our backyard.
My life is a lot more focused on God, and I feel less attracted to materialistic things that I was prior to going on this mission trip.
I am really grateful to God for the way that He has changed me on this trip and I am really thankful to all of you at St. Margaret’s for your prayers and support!