Monday, January 30, 2012

Gershon's Reflections

Gershon says...

1. What were your highlights from the trip?
A few of my highlights from the trip were meeting all the great people in Zambia and South Africa. We had never met before but it felt like we knew each other forever, we were able to make close bonds and friends that will never leave us. Listening to how these people living in a third world areas were able to praise the lord more than I was ever able to, every day they depend on the Lord with heart and soul. Its crazy how much they don’t have but yet how much more they have with God than I thought I had. Riding in “buses” (vans) with no seat belts on was a blast, felt like a bit of a rebel but it was fun, singing with everyone, everywhere we went was wicked and having fun with everyone was awesome. Meeting the kids in Makwati (village we were helping out in Zambia) was an experience, just having kids of all ages running up to you just to hold your hand was incredible.

2. What did you find hardest about the trip?
Definitely the hardest part of the trip was doing hospital ministry. I have never been good with dealing with blood so facing it up close and having to try to be as positive as I could was sooooooooooo hard but the Lord really did prevail. I learnt a lot from those hospital visits.

3. What did you learn about God on this trip?
I learnt that our Lord is always there he will never leave us and on the many occasions when we think we can do things by ourselves he lets us trip so that we have to hold on to him for our strength.

4. What did you learn about yourself on this trip?
I learnt that I have a lot more to learn about the lord and that the Lord as a lot more to show me. I really figured out that I have knack for public speaking when I am talking about something I am passionate about.

5. What did you learn from being part of the team?
EVERYONE has their weaknesses but when you’re in a team you are able to use your team mates as a support you never just one person against the world. You’re a part of a team, facing the same difficulties, which was really good because we were able to relate to each other. I had 10 other people besides me some were, wiser, smarter, taller, more feminine but not as funny as me though to lean on when I wasn’t feeling up to par.

6. What did you like the most about Zambian/South African Culture?
In Zambia I love how we could just walk in the street and say hello to anyone else walking on the street and get a casual smile back. South Africa we weren’t able to experience the culture as such but it was still a great place, smiles all round.

7. What thoughts about NZ Culture & Society have you had since returning?
I don’t want to conform back into NZ culture I want to bring the Zambian/ South African Gershon to New Zealand. New Zealand needs missionaries. Personally we need to bring Zambians over here to show us how to freely worship our Lord.

8. How is or will life be different for you now that you are back?
Like I said I don’t want to cave into NZ culture. I want to and hopefully will be able to shout the Lord’s name in every opportunity.