Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Janice's Reflections

JANICE says...

1. What were your highlights from the trip?

  • Interfacing with and getting to know the O M personel, learning of their personal journey, struggles, needs, joys. Was able to have in-depth conversations with many of them.
  • Being part of positive programmes for the children where they heard the Good News.
  • Observing the children at Hope Aids learning the scripture for the day. One little boy stands out in my memory as his voice was above the rest and he knew the verse word perfect (I have a photo of him). The reason this is so meaningful is that memorising scripture as a child will have a huge impact on their lives, (they will not easily forget the verses they learnt).
  • Being approached by an employee at Johannesberg airport when he saw my Good News T-Shirt asking for a Bible. I was able to give him one and pray that it will be a blessing and help.
  • Taking part in a Prayer Walk in Makwati village where one particular lady asked for prayer for her very sick child that she could not afford the medication for. Some financial help was given by two team members and the next time we saw her she was smiling and her child was well. Praise God.
  • Seeing how Team members grew in their Christian walk, were prepared to move out of their comfort zone, lead devotions for ourselves and all the staff at Kabwe, tried their hand at all sorts of things including making the maize meal, slapping mud on local house (yearly maintenance), digging and planting, scrubbing floors, visiting and praying for the very sick (and dying) in the local hospital . It was a thrill to see their enthusiasm and glimpse their potential as they continued in their walk with God.
  • Knowing that others were praying for me and their prayers were being answered. e.g. some of my concerns were not being able to sleep and back ache.
  • Becoming accepted and part of the "Team". Their care for me as an older person was much appreciated.
  • Becoming acquainted with 2 staff members from PNG was personally a thrill as it brought back memories of my time there in 1964-5.

2. What did you find hardest about the trip?

  • Most difficult times for me were not necessarily directly related to the environment e.g. I find it increasingly difficult to hear when in a group setting and either there was background noise, some are speaking too quickly, softly, mumbling or had an accent. However when I misinterpreted or made a wrong guess at what was said this provided a few laughs.
  • The filghts were stressful in that I developed a lump on the back of my calf along with extensive oedema which looked like DVT. After resting the next day the swelling did go down. On the return trip I suffered severe cramp probably due to me not exercising enough during the flight. The length of the journey was difficult and there were the long waits at some airports. After resting on arrival the swelling went down.
  • I was disturbed when on occasions unwittingly we would indulge in fancy food while our brothers in Christ would go without. (e.g. at Mall on route to Kabwe Airport).
  • Initially it took some time for me to be accepted as part of the team. There were occasions when I was not informed of what was happening, and had to go searching for the rest of the group. However a mutual love and respect for each one developed.

3. What did you learn about God on this trip
4. What did you learn about yourself on this trip?
5. What did you learn from being part of the team?
I can't say I learnt anything new about God , myself or being part of a team. Just reinforced what I already knew.

6. What did you like the most about Zambian/South African Culture?
I guess along with any similar country, I cant help but be impressed with the simplicity of their lives, their strong faith and dedication to God.

7. What thoughts about NZ Culture & Society have you had since returning?
Nothing new or too significant, just about how the things we consider important to do with how we look and behave are inconsequential, and sometimes a hindrance.

8. How is or will life be different for you now that you are back?
The impact of this trip on my life now is more about knowledge and concern for the Africans and the workers from a first hand perspective. It does not matter how much we hear and read about places like this, nothing can compare with going here and experiencing first hand. I shall be far more interested and in touch with what is happening in Africa than before.