1. What were your highlights from the trip?
Being surrounded by such an amazing team, every experience became so much more exciting and enjoyable. The initial van ride from
I loved that we were crowded by children everywhere we went. Most of the time I got so lost in playing with them, singing songs and trying to communicate even though we didn’t understand each other. It was nice to be surrounded by their enthusiasm and willingness to learn whatever we had to teach them. Miss them sooo much!
Travelling from place to place visiting the various
It was nice to be exposed to the energetic Zambian style of worship. I loved jamming with Anoosh, Gershon and some of the musical members on the base during free time. Talking to and listening to Gift sing us his song was really touching. He’s such an inspirational missionary!
I really enjoyed leading the morning devotion on Thursday 8th December. It felt as though the Lord completely took over the moment I started to talk and it was such an empowering feeling. The team’s encouragement had really helped me overcome any nervousness I had felt leading up to it. Listening to everyone’s testimonies and see them lead devotions was the coolest thing! I think Jesus really helped us step up in all the situations where we were alone.
I felt that the power-cut and water outages were a positive experience because they allowed us to face the reality of conditions in
2. What did you find hardest about the trip?
Hospital Ministry was quite a challenge because it definitely put us out of our comfort zone. It was difficult to see so much suffering and pain. Seeing the lack of resources and family support made it even harder to be around all the patients. Both times at the hospital, I was with the group that visited the male ward so we were exposed to bodily burns, boils, amputated limbs due to fights and severe accidents. However, I really felt the Holy Spirit the whole time we were there in the way we connected with the patients and just the things that the Lord was saying through us. I hadn’t experienced such a direct and strong connection with God before. There were definitely some unforgettable moments!
3. What did you learn about God on this trip?
EVERYTHING comes from, happens and is fulfilled because of God. This was revealed on the minutest levels as we saw how the locals prayed for food, clothing, money and family. We generally take these things for granted and forget to ask the Lord because it comes to us so easily most of the time. The atmosphere in
4. What did you learn about yourself on this trip?
I really enjoy being in a team! Every moment has a powerful impact if you have a team to share it with. I discovered that the Lord was calling me to work harder in children’s ministry. Constantly being exposed to the children had reinforced that passion I had to help and lead them in the way the Lord wants me to.
I realised I wasn’t doing enough to spend time with God. The daily devotions and encouragement of Emily and Rufus had really helped in strengthening me in this area.
My sole focus and undivided attention needs to be on God if I am to hear His voice or understand the things He is guiding me to do.
5. What did you learn from being part of the team?
It’s easier to get through the tough times and share the good times if you have such a lovely bunch of people experiencing it with you. It’s impossible to face everything on your own, especially in such a challenging atmosphere. However, with every new task we were able to complement each other and suit the situation based on our strengths and weaknesses. It was easier to reflect on certain moments and understand different perspectives as we discussed them in our daily meetings. It was the awesomest thing to be part of the St Mags team!
6. What did you like the most about Zambian/South African Culture?
They have a very collectivist approach to the way they deal with everything. So the focus is on group goals over individual goals. Everyone is concerned about the person next to them, how to help them, pray for them and care for the community they are in.
A highlight is the way they say “sorry” every time you almost fall, or drop something or just the silliest things happen. It took us time to realise that they weren’t apologising but were trying to say ‘I’m sorry that happened to you’.
The thing I liked the most was that the day started with Jesus, continued with Jesus and ended with Jesus in every conversation and situation. They have the awesomest JESUS-VIBE in their worship, testimonies, preaching and general conversations! People were really receptive to the gospel or at least wanted to hear more about it.
7. What thoughts about NZ Culture & Society have you had since returning?
We have a very individualistic society where everyone is more focused on personal goals rather than group goals. The true challenge is in NZ and other western nations because people are not as welcoming of Christianity. Everyone is used to minding their own business so it’s even harder to spread the word of God. So we have to work even harder than before to reach the lost souls!
Our NZ is amazingly multicultural and I think that’s why there is no particular culture that has to be followed by the whole nation. It’s nice that we’re a lot more welcoming and not too judgemental of our ethnic differences. The strong cultural implications of
8. How is or will life be different for you now that you are back?
I certainly feel inspired to become more involved in the church activities and evangelise wherever possible.
Experiences in