Monday, January 23, 2012

Tom's Reflections

Thomas says...

  1. What were your highlights from the trip?
    One of the biggest highlights from the trip for me would have to be the Children’s programmes that we ran in both Makwati (a small village community in Zambia) and in the Aid’s Hope Centre in the township of Mamelodi in South Africa. It was just fantastic to see how through our preparation and enthusiasm we were able to share the word of God with the children. It was amazing to see how God worked through our team and we were able to reach out to the kids and share the message of God’s love and plan for each one of them. Another highlight in Africa would have to be the way in which we joined the African’s in worshiping God through music. One memory I will always cherish is when in Zambia we were praising God at night inside in a massive thunderstorm when a massive bolt of lightning struck our building instantly knocking out power and water. Instead of panicking, everyone continued to sing and dance praising the Lord even more enthusiastically. The Holy Spirit was most definitely with us that evening!

2. What did you find hardest about the trip?

Having been to Africa to work and live before, the basic and communal living culture was not an issue for me. The aspect of the trip which I found most challenging was probably the evangelism and outreach into the community and hospital in Zambia. At first I felt very out of my comfort zone going into the hospital and praying for people who were living out there final days but I felt that God definitely blessed me and the rest of the team with the ability to speak the most appropriate words of comfort the right people. Another challenge I felt was evangelism in the village communities in Zambia. Zambia is a very Christian nature, and I really did not know what more I could share with them about God and Jesus that they did not already know. However, again I felt like God blessed me with the ability to speak the right words to the people and I definitely feel we impacted people’s lives for the better in the community.

3. What did you learn about God on this trip?

Many of the things I learnt about God on this trip came from the way the Zambians and South Africans praise and worship the Lord. Through listening to others testimonies and observing how God honours his promises to those who have faith in Him I have leant to trust in God and place more faith in Him. I also heard and learnt about the all powerful but yet forgiving nature of God. It is just amazing to think that our God is so awesome and perfect but he also is able to forgive us for our sins.

6. What did you like the most about Zambian/South African Culture?

The aspect of African culture I most enjoyed was how the people were very friendly and honest with each other and visitors from outside their nations. I loved it how the people were all free and willing to talk about God with others and were comfortable bringing up God into everyday conversations and life.

7. What thoughts about NZ Culture & Society have you had since returning?

Although I was initially sceptical that New Zealand society would ever be to come as open and willing to discuss issues regarding God and Christianity, I have since been pleasantly surprised by how so many people have been willing to talk about how God worked through us on the trip to reach out to the people of Zambia and South Africa. I feel positive that our team can now go out amongst the people of New Zealand and share the same good news that we shared with the people of Africa.